Friday, August 27, 2010

Yuppies, school, and fall







Cory smacked me on the forehead with the heel of his hand the other night and said loudly, "Yuppy out!" I was telling him how a little piece of me sometimes still wants to do things associated with yuppiness, so he felt an immediate exorcism was in order to cast out any remaining yuppy. I'm glad I can count on him when I have those moments.

The air is finally starting to cool off and it feels wonderful to be outside. We've been shifting gears for the start of the school year. It's another year of choosing hard things so that good fruit comes later. I've been improvising with materials I have on hand. Our world isn't rocked when school time comes, we just pick up our books and start. So many people tell me they could never homeschool because it must be so hard; but I am always amazed at what people and their kids have to deal with who don't homeschool. Surely, I've got it easier. The kids memorized John 1:1 and 2 last week. We had a wonderful little discussion about the trinity and how big God's brain is compared to ours since it's hard for us to understand how "the Word was with God and the Word was God." They've been outside more since it is finally cooling off some- it's baseball and swinging and reading- just they way a kid's day should be.

The other night Cory came home exhausted, and helped make the gravy seasoned with basil and sage from the garden. We sat down and ate dinner while the kids told him about their science experiment that day; and he told them how good the green beans they picked were. Sam went on and on saying, "Now I know why you wanted a garden Mom! You can just go pick your food and it's free! This gravy is so good, I bet it's because of the stuff in it from the garden! Dad showed me a carrot when we were outside. I bet you can't wait to make those carrots for dinner, Mom!" I was encouraged that they are growing an appreciation for good food and independence.

We recently looked at our project list for the fall:

Make a hoop house hayshed
Weatherproof the house for winter
Clear several new areas for fields
Get plumbing issues straight
Address driveway problems
Clean out the garage
identify and install alternative heating
Etc.etc.etc

I think our collective eyes rolled back in our collective heads at that point. One day at a time. One day at a time. We'll see you back here when we can grab a minute; in the meantime enjoy this weather and these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment